Testable Topics: 3 for 3

March 30, 2021

Three facts to remember about each of 3 unrelated, but testable topics.

First, it appears to me that the testers are quite taken with Montgomery glands. Ok – we got that.

Montgomery glands are located in the areola which is the circular, pigmented area surrounding the nipple. (Remember that the areola darkens and enlarges with pregnancy.) Montgomery glands are seen on the areola as little bumps which are the ductal openings of the glands - a combo of sebaceous (oily and sweat) and lactiferous (milky) glands. YES, Montgomery glands can secrete milk.

Three functions of the Montgomery glands are to:1

  1. Provide lubrication

  2. Be bacteriostatic (inhibit the growth or reproduction of bacteria)

  3. Produce a scent to help the infant find the nipple

The second of this 3 for 3 post is on a women’s health topic - Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM). LAM was created to allow women to safely rely on breastfeeding as a contraceptive method.

Close your eyes. Can you name the 3 criteria a woman needs to meet for LAM?

They are:

  1. Her menstrual period has not returned since delivery. (Bleeding or spotting in the first 56 days is not considered menstrual bleeding.)

  2. She is breastfeeding her baby on demand, both day and night and not feeding other foods or liquids regularly. (Occasional tastes of foods or other liquids are permitted, but they should never replace a feeding at the breast.) AND

  3. Her baby is less than six months old. 

When all three conditions are met, she has a less than 2% chance of becoming pregnant, or phrased in another way, LAM is 98% effective as a method of contraception.2

Finally, in this 3 for 3 post, are several questions asked of staff during a Baby-Friendly USA staff interview. The first is, “Name three feeding cues.” They are:

  1. Hand to mouth activity/sucking fingers or fists

  2. Rooting/lip smacking/sticking tongue out

  3. Light arousal, eye movement

The second is, “Why is cue-based feeding important for successful breastfeeding?” Two of these three acceptable answers are required.

  1. Ensures good milk supply

  2. Reduces risk of engorgement

  3. Ensures a contented baby

    Share The Lactation College

    Share

1

Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice, 3rd edition. Edited by Rebecca Mannel, Patricia J. Martens, and Marsha Walker. Jones & Bartlett Learning. 2013

2

https://www.waba.org.my/resources/lam/